This page describes amusement devices and how to obtain a permit for use.
What is an amusement device?
An amusement device is any mechanically powered unit that is used for rider entertainment. Amusement devices include merry-go-rounds, ferris wheels, roller coasters, bumper boats, bumper cars, indoor go-karts operations and mini-bikes (three and four all-terrain vehicles).
Activities such as parasailing, jet skiing, “magic carpet riding” and bungy-jumping are also interpreted as amusement devices.
Land-borne inflatable devices
Land-borne inflatable devices (bouncy castles, inflatable slides etc) are not currently defined as an Amusement Device in regulations and therefore are not required to be registered. However by design and intent of their use they provide amusement for members of the public.
All amusement devices must have a Certificate of Registration issued by the WorkSafe NZ (MBIE), freephone 0800 030 040.
Permit to Operate
A permit is required to operate a registered amusement device on both public and private property within Porirua City. Lodge your application at our Customer Service Centre, 16 Cobham Court in person, by mail, or email to email@example.com.
At least 10 working days notice is required.
Before issuing a permit to operate, we must ensure that the site and device are inspected by an authorised Environmental Inspector:
- The ground on which the device is erected is able to support the device without risk of subsidence.
- There is sufficient clearance between any part of the device and any fixed or moving objects in the vicinity, to prevent injury to any person when the device is in operation.
- Passenger loading and unloading platforms and similar facilities must be kept clear of debris, obstructions and slippery conditions.
- Suitable fire extinguishers should be provided to ensure reasonable and adequate fire control.
- Electrical safety is maintained. Where necessary, isolating transformers should be used in electrical supply link-ups to amusement devices.
- Where considered necessary for safety of the public protective fences or barriers are erected.
- Operators are 18 years of age at least, trained, instructed and competent to carry out safe operation.
- Complies with the Porirua City Council General Bylaw 1991.
Links to more amusement device information
Porirua City Council links: