Building Relocations & Demolitions - Building Consent
This page provides information on the Building Consent requirements under the Building Act 2004 for moving and relocating buildings or building demolitions.
A Building Consent is required to relocate or demolish a building
The relocation of existing buildings is an acceptable alternative to constructing a new building provided it complies with the Building Act 2004.
If you are intending to demolish, move or relocate a building, it is recommended you call or visit Council’s Customer Services Centre for advice before commencing work.
Applications for building demolitions or relocation consents are dealt with in the same manner as new consent applications. The statutory timeframe to process an application is 20 working days from the date the application is received unless the application is suspended for further information.
If you are moving a building into or out of Porirua City, you must obtain the Building Consent required from both the Porirua City Council and the other Council concerned.
For exempt building work read Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 (Refer to the link below).
Applying for a Building Consent to relocate or demolish a building
To apply for a Building Consent print off the Application for Building Consent form and demolition check sheet (for demolition only). When you have completed the form and have the necessary plans/documentation please book an appointment with a Building Compliance Officer before submiting it to Council’s Customer Services Centre. You may book an appointment by phoning 04 237 5089. The Council also accepts building consent applications via mail, however, the application must be complete and contain all necessary information otherwise it may be declined and returned to the applicant.
Please refer to the Resource Management Act 1991 for any resource consent requirements.
Building Consent requirements
Before starting work you must have a Building Consent granted.
In addition to meeting the normal Building Consent application requirements, your relocation application must also include the following:
- A site plan showing building footprint with dimensions, distances to boundaries and north orientation.
- Building plans and specifications.
- New foundation drawings, specifications and calculations.
- Drainage plan showing proposed inspection and invert levels.
- Code Compliance Certificate for buildings built since 1 July 1992.
- Drawings and specifications for any new work e.g., walls, decks, bracing, cutting building into sections and the reconnection of the building.
- An engineer's report and bracing plan where the building is being relocated from a low to a higher rated wind zone area.
- Destination site vehicle access and parking plans.
- Additional details as per check sheet.
For demolition application requirements please refer to the "Building Consent Application Checksheet - Demolition/Removal only" form by using the Building Consent Form and Check Sheets link below.
For more Building Consent information you may view or print off the various information booklets and sheets available by using the Building Consent Forms link below.
Links to more Building and Resource Consent information
Porirua City Council links: