Dog Owner Rebate
This page provides information on Council’s "Responsible Dog Owners" rebate and how you may become eligible for it.
You may be eligible for "responsible dog owner rebate"
Council promotes the responsible ownership of dogs by offering a registration fee rebate to dog owners who meet the qualifying criteria.
Your "responsible owner" status will remain in force until:
- The dog or dogs for which it was approved dies; or
- You change your address; or
- Council revokes the Responsible Owner status.
Qualifying for the responsible owner rebate
To qualify for a responsible dog owner rebate the dog owner must :
- have made application prior to 1 June;
- have registered their dog(s) by 1 August each year;
- have a fully fenced section or area on their property where the dog(s) can be contained so they cannot roam freely;
- have their dog(s) micro-chipped in accordance with the Dog Control Act 1996;
- comply fully with the Porirua City Council Animal Control Bylaws and the Dog Control Act 1996;
- have had no complaints about their dog(s) in the previous 12 months;
- clean up after their dog(s) in any public place;
- the property where the dog is kept is to be available for an inspection during normal working hours.
You must also keep Council updated with:
- Your current contact telephone number/s.
- The details of new dogs under your care, litters born and dog deaths.
- The name and address of new owners where you sell or otherwise dispose of your dog.
Why you may not qualify for the responsible owner rebate
You are not eligible for the responsible owner rebate if your dog or dogs are:
- Hunting or farm dogs.
- Dangerous dog breeds or types.
- Classified as dangerous.
- The subject of any nuisance or other complaint to Council.
You need to apply to Council for the responsible owner rebate
You must apply for a responsible dog owner rebate with Council prior to 31 May in each year. This is to enable a site inspection to be completed prior to the start of annual dog registration on 1 July in each year. Apply in writing to Council’s Customer Services Centre.
Your property must be inspected
Council’s Animal Control Officers are required to carry out an inspection of your property before your application is granted. This is to assess site suitability, dog accommodation and hygiene standards. Inspections are carried out between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.
Links to more dog information
Porirua City Council links: