Dog Prohibited Areas
This page identifies the areas within the Porirua City District where dogs are prohibited.
Definition of a Prohibited Area
Prohibited Areas are areas or zones declared by Council for reasons of public health and/or safety to be areas in which dogs are either strictly or conditionally prohibited. Check the GIS Maps for "Dog Exercise Areas (turn on Leisure & Receration" layer, then "Dog Exercise Areas").
Location of Prohibited Areas
- Strict Prohibition. Dogs are prohibited at all times in:
- All hard court recreation areas ie tennis and netball courts.
- All childrens' public play areas ie play grounds, basketball courts, skateboard areas etc.
- All marked grass playing fields and any area within 10 metres of such a field.
- All public libraries and other Council premises.
- All public swimming baths.
Conditional prohibition. Dogs are prohibited on the beaches listed below, between the marker sign posts at the northern and southern ends of the beach, between 10.00am and 7:00pm on any day in the period commencing 1st November in one year and ending 31st March the following year:
- Titahi Bay Beach
- Plimmerton Beach
- Karehana Beach
- Motukaraka Point Beach
- Paremata Beach
- Pukerua Bay Beach
There are some exceptions to the prohibition
The prohibitions detailed above do not apply to:
- Guide or Hearing Ear Dogs; or
- Police, Customs, security guard or farm dogs being officially used under the direct control of their handler or owner; or
- Other dogs where Council has granted a specific exemption
Links to more dog information
Porirua City Council links: