Liquor Licensing - Host Responsibility Policy
This page explains the requirement for premises licensed under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 to have a formal Host Responsibility Policy.
All On- and Club Licence premises require a Host Responsibility Policy
On- and Club Licence holders must provide a safe and secure environment on their premises for both customers and staff.
You must have an effective written "Host Responsibility Policy" for your premises. A copy is to be displayed on your premises for public and staff viewing and information.
Its purpose is to:
- Detail customer welfare policies and practices to provide a safe environment and minimise alcohol abuse.
- Detail management’s commitment to Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and Smoke Free Environments Amendment Act 2003 compliance.
- Provide staff guidelines, procedures, delegations enforce legislation and management policy.
The policy must be kept up to date and be readily available for both customers and staff.
A copy of your Host Responsibility Policy must accompany all On and Club Licence applications
You must provide a copy of your current Host Responsibility Policy with your new or renewal On or Club Licence applications.
You may get help to prepare your Host Responsibility Policy
For more information or guidance in preparing your Host Responsibility Policy refer to:
- The Wellington Regional Public Health Office
- The Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand (ALAC).
Links to more liquor licensing information
Porirua City Council link: