Applying for a Resource Consent

This page provides information on when you need and how you apply for Resource Consent under the Resource Management Act 1991.

A Resource Consent is Council's written authority allowing you to carry out an activity that will have an effect on the environment or use natural resources.

Your application must comply with the Porirua City District Plan – Section F (Information to be supplied) and clearly identify the land, the activity you propose carrying out on it and how you will do it.

Note: supporting documentation must be original documents.

Applying for a Resource Consent

To apply for a Resource Consent you need to complete Form 9 - Application for Resource Consent from the "Resource Consents Forms" link below and submit it with your supporting documents to Council's Customer Services centre.

You can help minimise Resource Consent application delays and costs by:

  • Consulting Council early in your project planning process.
  • Carrying out full and early consultation with the persons affected by your proposal.
  • Providing a comprehensive well prepared Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) report.
  • Submitting an accurate and fully documented application.
  • Ensuring your application addresses the relevant objectives and policies detailed in Section C of the Porirua City Council District Plan.
  • Responding promptly to officer requests for further information.

Some areas in Porirua City fall under Greater Wellington (Regional Council) jurisdiction. If you require a Resource Consent to carry out an activity in one of those areas you must apply to Greater Wellington for the consent.

Submit Greater Wellington Resource Consent applications at the Greater Wellington Regional Council address.

Resource Consent Applications Requirements

Paper size maximum A3

We will accept documents in a maximum A3 size only. Any documents larger than this, eg A2, A1 or A0 size, will need to be scanned externally. The applicant will be charged for this service.

Estimated charge per scanned page:

Size of
scanned page

Cost per page

Cost per page
Black and White










Plans must be of suitable quality

Documents will need to be a suitable quality that they can be easily viewed and processed on screen, and subsequent stamping as consented plans.

File types

Documents should be in the following formats:

  • PDF
  • TIFF (Group 4 compression)
  • JPEG - black and white: at least 200 ppi with not more than 30% compression or 70% quality.
  • JPEG - colour/greyscale: at least 300 ppi with not more than 30% compression or 70% quality.

If you have any queries, please contact the Team Leader Records and Information on (04) 237 5089.

When your Resource Consent application is received Council Resource Consent Planners will check it to ensure it is complete and provides all information and supporting documentation required.

Incomplete applications will be returned for the missing material to be provided and no further processing will be carried out until that occurs.

The applications status category will be based on the potential environmental impact of the activity for which the Resource Consent is being sought. There are four status categories:

  • Permitted - The activity complies with District Plan rules.
  • Controlled – A Resource Consent is required. Conditions may be imposed on matters Council has reserved control over in its District Plan.
  • Discretionary - The council has the discretion to grant or decline the application and, if granted impose conditions.
  • Non-complying - Resource Consent will not be granted unless Council is satisfied granting the consent will not contravene the District Plan and/or the environmental impact will be minor.

The status category determines whether your application will be processed immediately or will require either public or limited notification.

Time Limits

The time taken to fully process an application depends on the complexity of the application, the application status and whether or not a hearing is required.

Delegated Council officers generally decide non-notified applications within 20 working days of receipt. Notified applications will take longer when a hearing is required.

Working day definition under the Resource Management Act 1991:

Working day means any day except—

(a) a Saturday, a Sunday, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day, Labour Day, the Sovereign’s birthday, and Waitangi Day; and (b) a day in the period beginning on 20 December in any year and ending with 10 January in the following year.

Resource Consents conditions

Resource Consents are usually issued with conditions to mitigate or bring the applications into line with the Porirua City District Plan rules.

Your Resource Consent may have conditions imposed that must be complied with before you start site work e.g. appointing a chartered engineer to oversee and certify earthworks.

The Consent Holder is responsible for consent compliance. Non-compliance will result in enforcement action.

For non-notified consent activities you may immediately start work on your project once you receive the Resource Consent Notice of Decision.

For publicly notified, limited notification or appealed consent decisions work may only start after the expiration of the legal appeal period and you have received the Resource Consent Notice of Decision from the deciding authority.

Your Resource Consent will lapse on the date specified in the consent, or, if no date is specified then it will expire five years after the date of commencement of the consent unless:

  • The approved activity is fully completed; or
  • You have made application to Council for a time extension.

Naming of streets

If you are sub-dividing land and want to name new streets in that sub-division use the Street Naming Application form by using the "Resource Consents Forms" link below and submit it to Council's Customer Services Centre.

Application fees, charges and levies

The fees and charges payable with Resource Consent applications are based on the application size, scope and purpose and officer time involved in processing the application.

A deposit is payable against the final cost when your application is lodged with Council. When processing is completed you will be invoiced for the balance that is payable before the Resource Consent will be issued. Click on the "Resource Consent Fees" link below.

Financial Contributions

For land subdivision, construction of new buildings and extensions to some buildings, and some changes of uses financial contributions are likely to be payable prior to the commencement of construction or change of use, in addition to the application fee.

Types of financial contribution payable are outlined in Section E of the District Plan. The most common type of financial contribution payable is:

  • Recreation and Civic Development Contribution – This is charged to address the effect that the development has on the Council's Recreational and Civic Infrastructure and Services. The money collected is spent on development of reserves, open spaces and civic projects. It applies per new dwelling or allotment created and in the case of an industrial or commercial building it is based on the gross floor area (square metres).

Development Contributions

In addition to financial contributions, Development Contributions are likely to be required to be paid to the Council prior to the commencement of construction, change of use or installation of a new kitchen in a dwelling, to address the effect that the development has on the Council's drinking water, waste water and stormwater services.

More information about how the amount required will be calculated are set out in the Council's Development Contributions Policy.

Links to more resource consent information


Porirua City Council links

External Links: