Porirua City Roading Network
Porirua City Council administers the roading network throughout Porirua City with the exception of the State Highways. The network is dominated by State Highway 1, which runs north- south through the middle of the City, and State Highway 58, which runs east – west connecting the Hutt Valley with State Highway 1. The City’s roading network is generally on rolling topography.
Porirua City Council provides a range of road and traffic services and activities within the 18 suburbs as outlined below.
- 250 kilometres of sealed roads – approximately (urban)
- 45 kilometres of sealed roads (rural)
- 23 bridges and 5 foot bridges
- 400,000 square metres of footpaths
- 4970 street lighting poles
- 396 kilometres kerb and channel
- 4 kilometres culverts (majority on rural roads)
- 44,500 traffic signs
- 23 kilometres access ways
- 4000 square metres of the City Centre canopy structure
- 14 off-street car parks (approximately 20,800 square metres)
- 3 sets of traffic signals
Council also monitors all works within the City’s Roads that are carried out by other Council’s Business Units, Utilities Companies, Contractors and the Public.
The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) is responsible for State Highways 1 and 58 within the City Council area. Permission must be obtained from NZTA for any activity within these roads.
Please contact us by phoning (04) 237 5089 or email@example.com when you have any enquiry about road activities or to report any roading problem you might have, or notice, whether it is in your area or in any other area within the City.