Temporary Road Closures

This page describes when Council approval is required to temporarily close a road to traffic and/or pedestrians at a specific location for a specific period. Closing a road without an approved traffic management plan and an approved temporary road closure application is illegal, and may result in a fine being imposed. It takes at least 90 days to obtain Council approval to close a road.

What is a temporary road closure?

A temporary road closure is Council approval for a road/s to be closed to traffic and/or pedestrians at a specific location for a specific period. It ensures that you can complete your work or hold your event to the standards prescribed for by the Local Government Act 1974 and 2002.

You must obtain consent for a temporary road closure:

  • If a road or part of a road (all lanes) needs to be closed for an event; or
  • If a road or part of a road (all lanes) needs to be closed for works being carried out on, beside, above or under the road.

Note: temporary closure of some, but not all, traffic lanes on a road does not require a Temporary Road Closure.

Applying for a temporary road closure

You are required under the Local Government Act 1974, sections 11(a) – 11 (e), and the Local Government Act 2002, to request permission to temporarily close a road.

In certain situations, where an event is on Council owned land (or land that is not part of the Council roading network) you do not have to apply for a road closure. However, permission will be needed to hold the event on Council land.

Closing the road without an approved traffic management plan and an approved temporary road closure application is illegal, and may result in a fine being imposed.

In applying for a temporary road closure, applicants must send a completed application form to the Council. Temporary road closure applications must be entire, with an appropriate level of detail for Council consideration – otherwise it will be declined.

This information may include (but is not limited to):

  • Details of traffic management contingencies
  • Site closure methodology
  • Site-specific signage layout.

Important Note: TMPs must be prepared by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS),  who can be found under Traffic Management Services, in the Yellow Pages (electronic or hard copy)  The TMP is then submitted to Council by the STMS for approval or included in a Corridor Access Request (CAR). The any fees for the STMS will be over and above any Council fees.

A copy of the Council approved TMP must be held on the work/event site for the duration of the road closure and be available for checking by a Porirua City Council traffic management auditor.

When submitting the TMP for a road closure, consideration should be given to the following:

  • A suitable detour around the closure;
  • Access for public having legitimate purpose or business in the affected area;
  • Access to public and private property unless prior arrangements suitable to all parties have been made;
  • Immediate access to any emergency service and provision to curtail or cease work if necessary;
  • Suitable arrangements for regular refuse and recycling collection, either by allowing the collection vehicles to access site or taking the refuse and recyclables to one end of the road closure for collection. In the latter case, any recycling bins must be returned to the location where they were collected from;
  • Alternative routes for public bus services affected, including temporary bus stops;
  • Advance notification to all affected parties including on site signage for at least five days prior to the closure.

Application processing

Temporary road closures may be granted for Events or for Road Works. It takes considerably longer to meet the requirements of the Local Government Act for an “Event” closure than for Road Works. In most cases the proposed closure must be publically notified in the local papers for a minimum period of one month before the date of closure.

This means that Council MUST receive the application at least 90 days prior to the event to meet the processing and advertising deadlines.

This timeframe is a requirement to allow reasonable time to seek the approval of all affected parties and, where necessary, consider any submissions received. The length of time it takes to process a temporary road closure also depends on the complexity of the application and its associated temporary traffic management plan. If you are required to provide further information, your application will be placed on hold until you submit the requested additional content.

When can I close the road?

You can only close the road when you have received the following from Council:

  • Your approved Temporary Road Closure application form,
  • Your approved Temporary Traffic Management Plan,
  • Confirmation that you have satisfied all the conditions of the approval

You can only close the road on the dates and times specified, and by the method specified.

What can I expect from the Council as a result of my application?

The content of your application will be reviewed against the criteria set out in the Local Government Act 1974 and 2002, and the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management. Once we are satisfied that your application meets the necessary standards, we will work on ensuring that your Event or Road Works can proceed in the timeframe and manner you have requested. As soon as the requirements have been met, we will let you know the outcome of your application.


The cost of a road closure will depend on firstly what the Traffic Management Company may charge for their services in preparing a suitable Traffic Management Plan for the event to cover the extent of the closure, the duration, suitable detours etc as well as the personnel, vehicles and equipment used during the road closure. Secondly there is a Council fee for the processing of the application being TMP and Corridor Access Request (CAR) fees. The applicant may also be required to pay for the Council’s advertising costs for this road closure.

Other Information



If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us by phoning (04) 237 5089 – ask for the Road Protection Team or email enquiries@pcc.govt.nz.