Vehicle Crossings

Link to BeforeUDig website.This page describes the process to obtain written approval from Porirua City Council before you start building a vehicle crossing. In general, a vehicle crossing links a private driveway to the public road.


Approvals required

You must have an approved Traffic Management Plan and Work Access from Porirua City Council Road Controlling Authority before you start building a vehicle crossing.

Please note, that to construct a vehicle crossing/entrance to a rural property, a resource consent is required.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us by phoning (04) 237 5089 – ask for the Road Controlling Authority (RCA) or email

What is a vehicle crossing?

A vehicle crossing is the area of driveway between the council road carriageway, including the kerb and channel, and the private property boundary. The vehicle crossing will usually replace a portion of the public footpath as indicated on the urban vehicle crossing drawings. 

The information relating to vehicle crossings is the same regardless of whether the driveway is in single ownership, is a shared driveway, a right of way, or an easement.

Example of vehicle road crossing 2.
Example of vehicle road crossing.

Planning a Vehicle Crossing

The first step in planning a vehicle crossing is the location of any underground services in the vicinity of the proposed vehicle crossing. This is in the form of a Corridor Access Request (C.A.R.). Applications for a C.A.R. are made through the BeforeUdig Website.       

Ensure that the C.A.R. application is for planning purposes only. The CAR application is automatically sent to the Utility Operators eg power, gas, water, sewer, stormwater, telecommunications, who will return locality plans of their underground services, if any, directly to the applicant or contractor. If this process is not adhered to and any underground services are damaged while constructing a vehicle crossing, a costly penalty by the Utility Operator could be imposed as well as the cost of repairs. The damaging of certain underground services can result in the person excavating receiving serious injuries or death.

Note: If planning a vehicle crossing for a property that is below street level, please consult with the Road Controlling Authority Infrastructure Engineer to discuss levels, gradients, crossfalls, drainage etc. before making an application to construct a vehicle crossing.

Clearance of existing services or the relocation of services

Vehicle crossings must not be sited to interfere with any existing street works or markers e.g. fire hydrants, water valves, stormwater outlets or sumps, power poles, streetlight poles, gas, electrical or telecommunication installations, trees, beautification strips, car parks, street furniture.

If any services are going to be affected by the construction of the proposed vehicle crossing, you will need to arrange the relocation of these services with the appropriate Utility Operator before you submit your application for your vehicle crossing. The relocation of services will be at the expense of the property owner/applicant.

When the planning process has been completed and a suitable location for the vehicle crossing has been selected, the next stage is the application to construct a vehicle crossing.

Application Process

You must have written Council approval before you start constructing a vehicle crossing. This is usually done as part of a building consent for a new house or new vehicle crossings can also be applied for separately or when an existing vehicle crossing is being replaced.

The Application Process:

1. Apply for a Corridor Access Request (C.A.R.) to work in the road corridor through the BeforeUdig Website. This C.A.R. application is for construction purposes.This is separate from the planning C.A.R. application. This application will automatically be sent to the Roading Control Authority. (Road Protection Team Porirua City Council)    See Roads – Working in the Road Corridor.

2.  Arrange for a Temporary Traffic Management plan (TMP) prepared by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) - can be found under “Traffic Management Services”, in the Yellow Pages (electronic or hard copy). All costs incurred in the preparation of the TMP by the Traffic Management Services are the responsibility of the applicant and are over and above the Council's processing fees.   

The application will be checked to make sure that all the required information has been supplied, including a site plan showing the complete property and the location of the proposed vehicle crossing relative to the side boundaries with dimensions.

If the application is incomplete, it will be returned to the applicant for completion and resubmission, prior to acceptance of the vehicle crossing application.

Processing Time

Stand-alone vehicle-crossing applications have a processing time of seven (7) working days.

The applicant should get a letter/email, either approving or declining the application within 14 days (allowing time for postage).

Vehicle Crossing Fees

The Council fees cover the office processing only of both the Corridor Access Request C.A.R. (Minor) to work in the road corridor and the Traffic Management Plan (TMP) application and one onsite pre-pour inspection.

If the vehicle crossing is non-standard or additional field inspections are required due to non-compliance problems, the applicant may be charged extra fees to cover any additional work by Council Officers.

The Council fees do not include any construction costs of the vehicle crossing or the cost of the Traffic Management Plan (TMP) application.  Fees will be invoiced to the applicant.

Construction and Maintenance Responsibility

The property owner is responsible for the cost of construction and maintaining the vehicle crossing serving their property.

You are advised to report any existing damage to the road surface, kerb and channel, footpath, and any other assets before you start.  The reporting of this damage could also include photos or other clear evidence.

A properly constructed vehicle crossing is required for all residential and commercial properties that require vehicle access from a road across a kerb, berm or road frontage.

Your options are to:

  • Include the crossing in your building work contract;
  • Employ a qualified contractor to do it for you.

Vehicle Crossing Construction and Maintenance Checklist

  • Vehicle access to a property must be by means of a properly constructed vehicle crossing that complies with the Council’s Specification for Installation of Residential Vehicle Crossings and Plans (see  links below to download files).
  • If you are planning a vehicle crossing for a property that is below street level, please consult with the Infrastructure Operations Engineer - Roading to discuss levels, gradients, crossfalls, drainage etc before making an application to construct a vehicle crossing.  See drawing 2/-/353. It is also the owner’s responsibility to ensure that any stormwater runoff is contained by the installation of a suitable drainage system. 
  • The public footpath in the vicinity of the proposed vehicle crossing must comply with the NZTA gradient and crossfall.                                                                                                                                       
  • For further information on interpretation of these requirements please contact the Road Protection Team.
  • A Corridor Access Request (CAR) must be applied for – see Roads: Working in the Road Corridor.
  • A Temporary Traffic Management plan prepared by a suitably qualified person (see Traffic Management Services in the Yellow Pages, electronic or hard copy) must be included with the C.A.R. request.
  • For rural properties with a culvert under the road crossing, plan 2/-/352, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the pipe is kept clear and does not cause a flooding nuisance or damage the road.
  • The permit holder (depending on who constructs vehicle crossing) will be responsible for repairing, at their own expense, and to the satisfaction of the Council Roading Engineer any damages that might result from the construction of the vehicle crossing.
  • In the event that the Porirua City Council widens or realigns a road and these works require the vehicle crossing to be altered to meet the new road alignment, then the Porirua City Council will alter and reinstate the vehicle crossing access at the cost of the Porirua City Council.

For further information about Fees, booking inspections, vehicle crossing specifications or any other queries, please contact the Road Protection Team. 

Construction time limit

Construction of the vehicle crossing must be completed within 7 days (1 week) from the date of starting the excavation to the date of completing the final reinstatement.

It is not acceptable for the footpath and grass berm area to be disrupted and left in a dangerous state for a prolonged period of time.

Temporary Traffic Management

Applicants are required to submit a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) with their application, showing how pedestrians and motorists will be able to safely get past the worksite. 

A suitably qualified Temporary Traffic Management person is required to implement the TMP by erecting signs and barriers before the start of the work. These controls are to be kept in place to protect the public until work is finished. Safety standards are required to meet the same safety standards that all other road and utility service contractors working in the road corridor are required to employ. 


To arrange an inspection, please contact the Council’s Customer Service Centre by phone (04) 237 5089 – ask for the Road Protection Team or email giving a minimum of two (2) days prior notice.

A. Pre-pour Inspection.

When the excavation has been prepared and is ready for the concrete to be poured, the customer must contact the Porirua City Council to arrange an inspection of boxing before the concrete is poured. Once the pre-pour inspection has been passed by the council, the concrete can be poured and reinstatement of the grass completed.

B. Final Inspection.

When the reinstatement is complete, the contractor/applicant/owner must inform the Council within 5 working days that “works” have completed and submit photographs of the completed vehicle crossing and adjacent area to be included in the Council's records of the property.

On-going maintenance and repairs to the entire vehicle crossing in the road corridor remains the responsibility of the property owner.

Links to more information and files