Water, Sewer and Stormwater Connections

This page provides information about water, sewer and stormwater connections, and links to application forms.  It also lists the criteria for Building over Public Mains, Encroachment upon Underground Service Easements or Corridors or any Proposed Relocation.

Answer three questions first

There are three questions you need to answer first.  Do you require:

  • A supply connection/disconnection into or from Council’s underground service network of sewer, water or stormwater to your property or habitable dwelling
  • A water meter installed on a new or existing water connection
  • The raising or lowering of a manhole

If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then you will need to apply to us for this to be done. 

General Note

  1. All works carried outside of the property boundaries such as in road reserve or within legal service easements or within underground public utilities corridors (such as public mains crossing a private property) shall be carried out by Council's Works Operations and will need to be applied for.
  2. All other private works required for domestic service connections which do not directly access or interfere with the mains or network contained within the property boundaries shall be carried out by a suitably qualified and registered professional.

Connections Process


All works associated with the connection/s requested will be at a cost to the applicant.

Applications for individual connections or the raising or lowing of a manhole shall be made using the forms applications for Raising or Lowering of Manholes or Water, Sewer or Stormwater Supply Connection.

Quote for service 

You will be provided with a written quote of the installation costs of the proposed work, together with a Development Contribution fees notice and schedule if applicable.

Once you have received the quote, you will need to acknowledge acceptance of the quote in writing. Return the signed quote to us and we will then issue you with an invoice in accordance with the quote cost.  Alternatively you may personally deliver the completed quote along with your payment.

Development Contribution Fees

We will check our records to determine if any development contributions are outstanding or payable in relation to your application.  You may have already been notified of such through an associated Building or Resource Consent application process.

If the development contribution payable is not paid, the Council may under section 208 of the Local Government Act 2002;

  • Withhold a service connection to the development.

For further information, go to our Development Contribution Policy page.

Connection timeframe

The connection work will normally be completed within 10 working days of payment of installation and Development Contribution charges.

Application to take water from a Hydrant

Any water usage from public utilities apart from authorised connections is prohibited.

Any request for the taking of water from the network for external use , such as water from a hydrant or water extraction for the purpose of water cartage or tanker use, apply to us for approval.

Building over Public Mains, Encroachment upon Underground Service Easements or Corridors or any Proposed Relocation

If you are proposing to build on or develop land, you need to be aware of the following restrictions on what can be done where there are existing Council service systems on or adjacent to that land.

Public Mains

Building over public underground service mains and/or encroachment upon Council service easements or corridors or load surcharged onto those assets by any structure or part of a structure is prohibited. (Note: The surcharge line extends upward at 45 degrees from the bottom of any public water, sewer and stormwater service).  Public mains means Council water, sewer and stormwater services.


There is a limit on how close to a public main you can carry out building or earth developmnent work. A minimum 3m width easement, 1.5m either side of the main and no closer than 1.5m to any structure or part of a structure is secured over all public services crossing private property at development stage whether the services are existing or new. 

Where the pipe is deeply laid, or is a large diameter pipe the easement will be larger than 3m, as approved in writing.

Proposed Relocation of Mains

If you are proposing the relocation of existing public mains, your proposal must meet the following criteria:

  • It must maintain the integrity of the existing networks capacity and flow rate.
  • It must be proven to be an over all advantage to the existing network.
  • It must not be deemed to cause of be the cause of higher initial or on going maintenance or replacement cost.
  • It must not restrict, hinder or impede 24 hour access to the mains or maintenance structures.


In your application for relocation of public mains you must provide Council with a detailed report addressing and satisfying all the above criteria and including:

  • Analysis and specific tests carried out on the network by a suitability qualified engineer experienced in underground services.
  • The tests and analysis is to include the known and possible up and down stream effects the relocation will or could on the network; and
  • Detailed designs prepared by a suitably qualified engineer showing the proposed relocation.
  • The appropriate "Statement of Professional Opinion” form, prior to any acceptance by Council, and prior to the start of any construction works.

All costs associated with the proposed relocation including works and Council officer time is the applicant's responsibility. 

As Built Requirements

PCC Draft Code of Land Development and Subdivision Engineering As Built requirement:

As per Section 1.5.10 NZS 4404:2004, but modified by replacing (b) with the following:

(b) As-built plans of all infrastructure showing the information set out in Schedule 1D and complying with Council’s “As Built Requirements”. As-built plans shall be submitted in an electronic format compatible with Council’s GIS system and Hansen asset data-base for all infrastructure to be vested in Council.

Council's As Built Requirements

As Built drawings shall be in accordance with Schedule 1D NZS 4404:2004, and be accompanied by a signed copy of Schedule 1C, NZS 4404:2004, (Certificate of Person Responsible for Inspection and Review of Construction) signed by a suitably qualified professional carrying professional indemnity insurance - the minimum of which shall be commensurate with the current amounts recommended by IPENZ, ACENZ, TNZ, INGENIUM for such work.
All As Builts shall be to the acceptance and satisfaction of Council prior to the issue of section 224c. As Builts shall be submitted electronically and in the specified format as per PCC requirements (suitable to Council's asset data systems) - .dxf or .dgn/dwg format - any queries, contact Mike Travis, PCC, ph (04) 237-1471.  Council will supply the electronic format that is required to be populated - Contact Anthony Clarke, PCC, ph (04) 237-1414.

Electronic “As Built” Plans (including schedule of easements) and showing surveyed co-ordinates in Wellington Circuit 2000 and levels in terms of MSL, for all services within the development, shall be submitted to Council once construction is complete. They shall comply with Councils “As Built Requirements” and shall be submitted electronically. They shall be certified as a complete and correct record by a suitably qualified engineer experienced in this work.

The “As Built” Plans or any other documentation required for release of the Section 224 certificate shall be supplied to Council 21 days prior to their expected release, and shall be to the standards adopted by Council and to the satisfaction of the Manager: Asset Management and Operations, Porirua City Council prior to release of s224 certification.

Council will require Final “As Built “CCTV inspections on completion of all newly vested or public mains of sewer and storm-water pipe work constructed within any Development. This shall be supplied in a DVD format. These shall be produced at a cost to the developer and presented to Council for acceptance at the time of formal application for release of s224 certification.

Both lid level (LL) and invert level (IL), should be shown for all sanitary sewerage and stormwater manholes; also the IL of any incoming pipes at different levels from the outgoing pipe.

The type of Manhole (diameter, and whether full size of mini) should be shown.

The type of sump (eg whether single sump or double sump) and whether rectangular or round, should be specified; also any sumps where Enviropods are used.

Links to more information

Porirua City Council links: