Education in Porirua City
This page is about the range of educational facilities – from pre-school to tertiary, available to Porirua residents. Visit LiveBeyond, a website which helps you decide where to live in Porirua and provides links to properties currently on the market in Porirua City.
Schooling and tertiary education opportunities
Educating our people to meet the demands of the modern workplace is a high priority and the city offers a wide range of education facilities.
We have a polytechnic, five colleges, 28 primary schools, two intermediate schools, a huge range of early childhood options, and a Maori-focused tertiary education institute.
Our excellent public transport system and central location within the Wellington region allows families easy access to other educational facilities across the entire region.
Early childhood and primary schools
Pre-schoolers are well catered for with a choice of, kindergartens, childcare centres, preschools, playcentres, kohanga reo, Montessori, creches and play groups.
Primary schools are located in each suburb, catering for children from age 5 to 13 (Years 1-8) or 5-11 (Years 1-6), with one school going right through to Year 13 (18 years). All schools are State schools, with four being State Integrated schools.
Pictured left are four young Polynesian children:
On the right is a boy, Mairaro Kanavatoa, dressed in Black.
His sister Owhiti Kanavatoa is the little girl in front of him.
Jordyn Mokalei is dressed in green pm the left, and the girl in front of her is Aaliyah Hetutu.
Niue and Cook Island boys grow their hair for their traditional haircutting ceremony or coming of age. Mairaro is both Cook Island and Niue.
Families living in Porirua have easy access to a large number of secondary schooling options across the Wellington region.
Within Porirua, four of the city’s colleges – Aotea, Mana, Porirua and Te Kura Maori o Porirua are co-educational state schools while Bishop Viard is a Roman Catholic integrated co-educational school. Samuel Marsden Collegiate School is a private co-educational school located in Whitby.
A myriad additional education options are available across the region in Wellington, Hutt and on the Kapiti Coast. Because of Porirua’s central location, most of these schooling options can be reached within a 20-30 minute travel time.
Porirua teenagers enjoying outdoor activities at a popular city event - CreekFest.
Tertiary education institutions
Whitireia Community Polytechnic, on the south bank of Porirua Harbour, is known for producing work-ready graduates for New Zealand and overseas workplaces. It offers over 90 full-time programmes as well as part-time and short courses.
Whitireia Community Polytechnic graduates celebrating their success on graduation day.
Based at the Todd Park complex, Te Wananga o Aotearoa delivers educational programmes and opportunities within a Maori environment. It offers a wide variety of subjects from language to multimedia and television.
For those interested in a university education Victoria University of Wellington and Massey University Wellington are the main universities located in Wellington City. In addition the University of Otago School of Medicine and Health Science is situated close to Wellington Hospital. The Victoria University Faculty of Education offers training for teachers.
Links to more information
- Ministry of Education
- EdCentre - an online gateway to information about New Zealand education
- Education Review Office - for reviews of schools and early childhood education services national reports on current education practice.
- TKI - The Online Learning Centre - a bilingual portal and web community which provides quality-assured educational material for teachers, school managers, and the wider education community (an initiative of the Ministry of Education).
- Team-Up's ECE Listing - to find out about New Zealand early childhood education (ECE) services/childcare for your child that best meets your needs. Search by listing the Wellington region, Porirua City, and then type of service.
- Team-Up's School Directory - to find out information about Porirua schools - including subjects taught, student profile, student achievement, contact details and map location for each school. Search by listing the Wellington region, Porirua City, then the Year Levels required.