Moving to Porirua City
This page describes where to get information and referral services for new migrants.
Services to assist newcomers to New Zealand and Porirua
On 1 July 2014, Immigration New Zealand launched a new business model for the delivery of information and referral services for newcomers to New Zealand. Between 2005 and 2014, Porirua City Council was one of a number of organisations around New Zealand contracted by the government to provide the service. The new service arrangements are described below.
For new migrants
As a new migrant seeking settlement information, you can:
- visit the website www.newzealandnow.govt.nz and specifically the page for the Wellington region
- call 0508 558 855 (press 2 if you wish to speak to someone)
- email email@example.com
- visit the Porirua Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), located on 2nd Floor, Pember House, 16 Hagley Street, Porirua; Mon - Fri 9.00am - 4.30pm, phone 237 8846. The CAB is the local provider of the Face to face Settlement Information Service in 30 locations throughout New Zealand) and will also coordinate seminars and workshops for new migrants from September 2014.The CAB Language Link service is also available if you want to use your own language.
For information for your new migrant employee, you can:
- encourage new migrant employees to access the information described above
- learn about the most effective way to welcome and settle in your new migrant employees to your workplace, and your local community by accessing the free resources available from www.newzealandnow.govt.nz. If you need more than 10 printed copies, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
- contact Relationship Managers – Migrant Skills Retention (from October 2014), who will be working in your area. Relationship Managers will work with sector and regional organisations, to assist with planning for and retaining the migrant skills your business needs.
Links to more information
Information about local community support, regional and national organisations and services can be found under the following categories: