New Zealand China Friendship Society
The New Zealand China Friendship Society has had over half a century of experience working with China. This has given us strong connections and good contacts.
We have a reputation in China and in New Zealand for fostering people-to-people links, whether through sister-cities, sister-schools, friendship associations at all levels, or personal communication.
Who are we?
The New Zealand China Friendship Society Inc. has 15 branches throughout New Zealand including a Wellington Branch.
What do we do?
The Aims of the New Zealand China Friendship Society are:
- To promote friendship, understanding and goodwill between the peoples of China and New Zealand by encouraging visits and exchanges of ideas, information, culture and trade between the two countries
- To foster interest in and promote the study of China, its history, culture, political and social structures – past and present
- To support specific aid projects in China
- To promote the study of the Chinese language by New Zealanders and advanced English studies in this country by Chinese
- To foster on-going development of all sister-city links between New Zealand and China
- To assist both visiting students and new migrants from China requiring help to fit in to New Zealand society
How can we help you?
Wellington branch activities include monthly meetings featuring talks and activities about aspects of Chinese culture, current affairs and trade; and a major banquet each year at Chinese New Year. Monthly meetings are held at Connolly Hall, Guildford Tce (off Hill Street) March to November on the third Wednesday at 5.45 pm followed by an optional buffet Chinese meal at the hall; except in June & July when meetings are held on the third Sunday at 2.30 pm followed by afternoon tea.
Where can you find us?
To contact the Wellington branch please contact either of the people below:
President: Bernie Richmond
50 St Johns Terrace, Tawa,
Ph: 04 232 5912
Secretary: Bruce Asher
60 Friend Street, Karori,
Ph (04) 970 9952.
Annual membership: Student (full-time) $20, Single $25, Family $32, Educational Institute $40 and Corporate $50.