This page outlines the history and description of the railway station at Muri at the northern end of Pukerua Bay, which is now closed.
Muri Station, from the east end.
Photo – Russell Murray, 2009
History of Muri Station
In July 1952, Muri Station was opened as the centre of the population of Pukerua Bay was by that stage located closer to Haunui, Muri, and Pukerua Beach. [See Ref. xix]
As part of the upgrade of the Wellington commuter train service, Muri station was closed in 2011 as it could not economically be upgraded to cater for the new Matangi electric trains.
Description of the present Muri Station
The station consists of two platforms arranged on a bend, with a small old timber shelter structure on each. The buildings are thought to date from 1953. The platforms show an interesting mix of construction types and techniques that records the various changes that have been made over time.
The station is now closed.
Return to the 'Porirua's Rail Heritage' page or continue to the 'Pukerua Bay Road Bridge' page.