Pukerua Bay Station
This page outlines the history and description of the stations at Pukerua Bay, excluding Muri Station.
History of the stations at Pukerua Bay (excluding Muri Station)
Pukerua Bay station from south, 1917. Signal box on the left (shelter discernible on the platform behind), stock yards and loading ramp on the right foreground, railway houses on the small ridge, right background.
Porirua Museum ref. 70/21.
The completion of the first station building probably coincided with the start of the first train service to Pukerua Bay, which took place on Christmas Day 1885, leaving Wellington at 9.30am and reaching Pukerua at 11.10am. [See Ref. xvii]
According to Cassells the Pukerua Station was a simple 6th class flag station design. Circa 1906 a new shelter shed was erected on a 66 ft long platform. The design of this shed is not clear; it is seen obliquely in the background of the only known photo of the era, see image above.
By 1917 a signal box on the southwest side of the station was constructed after New Zealand Rail had installed a second loop. While on the eastern side a small sheep pen was located for easy loading of stock directly onto the freight wagons. (see Cassells p. 60). Originally known as Pukerua its name was changed to Pukerua Bay in 1923. [See Ref. xviii]
Around 1929, a group of four standard pre-cut railway houses were put up on the east side of the tracks as permanent accommodation for rail employees in the area. Only one of these houses survives today, the southernmost.
Pukerua Bay railway station 17 March 1939. Photo taken by J.D. Buckley
Pataka Museum CD 16 Film 61 A.26.2
The second station building was constructed in 1941 as part of the electrification and duplication of the line between Tawa Flat and Paekakariki, and was put on an island platform between the two tracks. This building was demolished, and the present building constructed, in 1986.
Description of the present Pukerua Bay station
The present Pukerua Bay Station, from the south end of the platform. Note the station platforms have been upgraded since this picture was taken, although the shelter structures remain.
Photo – Russell Murray, 2009.
This station is an island type, reached via a grade crossing at the southern end. There is a car park on the west side of the tracks and a row of houses at the east, set amongst dense coastal bush.
The present station buildings are back-to-back versions of those at Mana, and represent salutary examples of early 1980s architecture.
Other features of interest in the area include one remaining railway house (on the east side, just visible through the vegetation), a foundation wall remnant of the former stationmasters house, now forming an edge to a skate park at the north of the railway house, the remains of the water pumping works serving the station and stockyards down the bank adjacent to the creek to the south of the railway house, and at the south end of the station area, the Pukerua Bay over-bridge (and nearby cycle bridge), and a large industrial shed of unknown provenance.
Cassells, K. R. Uncommon Carrier - The History of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company 1882-1908 Wellington 1994 p. 41
Hoy, D. G. Rails Out of the Capital Wellington : New Zealand Railway and Locomotive Society, Wellington Branch, 1970 p. 119
Return to the 'Porirua's Rail Heritage' page or continue to the 'Muri Station' page.