"To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he can never know that he is dead."
- Samuel Butler.
Original cemetery administered by a trust board
The original records were administered by a trust board, and in 1926, the Makara County Council took control of them. The Porirua City Council took over control of the cemetery register in the early 1980s.
There are nearly 4000 graves in the Porirua Cemetery, many of them unmarked. The cemetery is the resting place for more than 200 former patients of the old Porirua psychiatric hospital. More than 2000 graves date from before 1946. The first burial was that of Charles Crabbe on 13 September 1895.
In earlier days the cemetery was subdivided into blocks depending on religion or if the person was a patient at the hospital. Most in the hospital block were buried there before 1906.
Memorial to Stillborn and unknown persons
- "Plot puzzle unravels", Kapi-Mana News, 22 March 1982
- "Porirua studies its gravestones", Evening Post, 16 March 1982
Porirua Cemetery layout map
You can view and print Porirua Cemetery layout maps from our Cemetery Maps
Links to more information
Porirua City Council link:
Continue to Pauatahanui Public Burial Ground, or return to Porirua's Cemeteries.