Historic site: Takapuwahia Village
"Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi."
- Maori proverb which translates "As an old net withers another is remade".
Maori at Takapuwahia village, c1909.
Photo from Pataka Museum Collection, at Porirua Library ref P.2.132.
Takapuwahia became the primary home of Ngati Toarangatira
In the 1850s the village of Takapuwahia had a population of 252 who had come from abandoned pa at Taupo (now Plimmerton) and Pukerua. Besides houses, the pa included two reed chapels, a flourmill powered by water from the stream was under construction. Intensive farming of 80 acres including potatoes, maize wheat and kumara.
Toa Rangatira, c.1903.
Photo from Pataka Museum Collection, at Porirua Library ref A.6.56.
A few years later in 1889 the other pa in central Porirua, Urukahika, was abandoned and Takapuwahia became the undisputed primary home of Ngati Toarangatira. In 1901 the meeting house Toa Rangatira was opened, it is named for the founding ancestor of Ngati Toa. In 1910, a school was built alongside and this was used for church services.
Toa Rangatira, 1981.
Photo from Pataka Museum Collection, at Porirua Library ref A.6.15.
In 1980, the old meeting house was demolished, and the current Toa Rangatira built on the same site to the same scale.
Continue to City Centre, Elsdon and Takapuwahia Signpost stories
or return to Porirua City Centre, Elsdon and Takapuwahia