Home-Based Business Mapping Research and Survey Results
This page describes the research undertaken to identify the number, type, scale and location of home-based businesses in Porirua City.
Background to the Research
The aim of the research was to better understand the number of home-based businesses; location of home-based businesses by suburb; broadband usage by suburb; tele-working practice by suburb; and characteristics of Internet-connected businesses by suburb.
The research approach consists of:
- Reviewing the previous research approach and results
- Undertaking a desktop exercise and analysis of the latest Business Statistics Business Frame data
- Understanding the nature of home-based business activity
- Identifying and locating home-based businesses via online survey
- Interpreting the survey results to identify trends and opportunities for home-based businesses in Porirua, and potential areas for support or intervention by Porirua City Council
Survey of Home-based Businesses
An online survey (responses=75) of home-based business owners in Porirua City was conducted over the period November-December 2011. The survey of home-based businesses in Porirua City was to acknowledge and test some of the data limitations and assumptions made in the desktop research.
The survey covers the following topics:
- GST registration
- Nature of activity
- Local spend
- Internet and broadband requirements
- Use of local services and facilities
- Motivations for working from home
- Future growth plans