Plimmerton Village Planning - prior to 2012
This page describes the Village Planning Programme work in Plimmerton carried out in 2012 and earlier. The programme is a partnership between Porirua City Council and the community of Plimmerton to develop and improve their village.
To learn about Plimmerton's latest village planning go to the main Plimmerton page
To learn more about the Village Planning Programme, visit the home page.
On this page you will find:
How Plimmerton developed a Village Plan
This picture shows a view of Plimmerton's rocky shoreline looking towards the Plimmerton Boating Club, with a couple relaxing, reading the paper and enjoying the view.
The community of Plimmerton can take much of the credit for the development of the Village Planning Programme.
Local residents, lead by the Plimmerton Residents Association, demanded a say on the development of their neighbourhood long before the process was developed.
By the time the Village Planning Programme was launched, Plimmerton had already undertaken an extensive community consultation process; running 23 street meetings and involving more than 300 residents. Out of that came a comprehensive Plimmerton Village Strategy.
The Plimmerton Village Plan had a particular focus on "maintaining and enhancing the special character of Plimmerton and the coastal area to create a welcoming impression for residents and visitors, a place for all to enjoy".
The main priorities identified were reducing traffic speed and making Plimmerton Village more pedestrian friendly.
Back to top
Plimmerton dresses for the Queen
Stepping back in time
Plimmerton took a step back in time over Queens Birthday Weekend 2012 to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and raise money for the Plimmerton Volunteer Fire Brigade and the local community.
"Plimmerton promenades in Style" saw the streets filled with classic and veteran cars, a steam train at the station and guests dressed in period fashion to view a stunning display of vintage pre-1950s wedding dresses in St Andrew’s Church on Steyne Avenue. To accompany this display the Parish Centre next door hosted visitors to elegant morning and afternoon teas.
A second display of wedding dresses from the 1950s-1970s, along with an audiovisual presentation on early Plimmerton, was held at the Plimmerton Pavillion.
Hundreds of people visited Plimmerton for the day which started with a grand parade of classic vehicles. As well there were demonstrations by the Volunteer Fire Brigade, a best dressed dog and owner competition, a chance to get up close to a steam train at Mainline Steam, and art works on display and for sale at Mana Arts Society.
See below for a selection of photographs from the day.
Back to top
Plimmerton seat design wins silver medal at Designers Institute Awards
This photograph shows a family enjoying a picnic on the Matau Furniture seat, which has won silver at the New Zealand Design Awards.
Design talent recognised.
The Matau seat designed by Massey University Industrial Design students for the Plimmerton Residents Association has won a silver medal at the New Zealand 2011 Design Awards.
The Plimmerton Residents Association ran a competition with the students during 2009 to design a range of seats that would compliment Plimmerton. It offered a $1,000 scholarship to the winning team, and the community was closely involved in the development and review of designs.
Six finalists were selected by the public; with more than 200 people voting during a public open day. The winner, Matau Furniture, was then chosen by a committee of Plimmerton Residents Association members and Porirua City Council staff.
The Matau Furniture design team were Cenwynn Boswell, Matt Bell, Riley Sanders, Steven Wyeth and Tom Conway. Their tutors were Chris Jackson and Lyn Garrett.
Altogether 32 new seats have been developed for Plimmerton featuring six Massey University Designs, as well as a several commercially available seats.
All have been sponsored by the community, with many being sponsored by long-term Plimmerton families and local businesses. Each seat carries a plaque thanking and acknowledging the sponsors.
Many were handcrafted by Plimmerton boat builder Bernie Perano and local resident John Chipper, who worked on them in space provided by a local construction company.
Below are photographs showing a range of other Massey University designed seats in place around Plimmerton: (from left clockwise) Wave, Recliner and below Matau Furniture and End of Line.
Back to latest news
Plimmerton's past on show at Railway Station
This historic photograph was taken in the 1960's from inside the main Plimmerton station door looking out to a wagon in the yards, possibly loaded with clay from the Winston's site.
A twenty minute electronic display of historic photos from 1885 is on show at the newly restored Plimmerton Railway Station.
This is an evolving story and new sections will be added as photos are sourced.
Project manager Allan Dodson is still looking for photos from the 1950s onward and particularly anything showing the Plimmerton pavilion before 1954 and defence works on the beaches during the war years. Please contact Allan on phone 233 1087, or cellphone 021 02755715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The display was made possible by a grant of $1000 from the Historic Places Trust.
Back to latest news
Plimmerton community recognised for railway station restoration.
The Rail Heritage Trust of New Zealand has recognised the Plimmerton community, Council and KiwiRail for the restoration of Plimmerton Railway Station.
The RHTNZ board makes an award each year to encourage the restoration of railway heritage buildings.
The award was announced in June 2011 and formally presented in August 2011 during a ceremony at Plimmerton Railway Station.
The photograph above shows the citations from the Rail Heritage Trust of New Zealand being recieved by (from left) Scott Brooks, KiwiRail Passenger Metro Manager, Ian Barlow, Council's Villages Planning Programme Manager, and Alan Dodson, co-project manager for the restoration of the railway station.
The Award consists of a bronze plaque, now in place inside the station.
The framed citation says:
This Award is presented to
PLIMMERTON RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION, PORIRUA CITY COUNCIL and KIWIRAIL
for the restoration of Plimmerton Railway Station building.
Plimmerton’s current station opened in 1939, replacing the 1886 original. Staff were withdrawn about 1990 and the building closed to the public.
The local community was determined to save and restore this part of Plimmerton’s heritage. Working with the Porirua City Council’s Villages Programme, the Plimmerton Residents’ Association proposed using voluntary labour to rebuild the interior, while KiwiRail funded a new roof and structural repairs. After major donations of time and materials the building was formally re-opened on 10 October 2010, and now includes a public waiting area and a model railway retailer.
Back to latest news
Plimmerton's Historic Railway Station opens in grand style
The community of Plimmerton turned out in force on Sunday 10 October 2010 to celebrate the reopening of its lovingly restored historic railway station, with many wearing 1940s style clothing for the occasion.
Community volunteers spent eight months working to restore the building, investing more than 2000 hours of volunteer labour to strip and restore the it.
The ribbon was cut by Jim Gyton (85) and Phillip Drummond (15), (pictured below) who were both regulars to weekend working bees.
This photograph shows Jim Gyton (85) and Phillip Drummond (15) cutting the ribbon to open the newly restored Plimmerton railway station, with Alan Dodson, one of the two project managers, providing commentary.
The new building not only has room for passengers to wait for a train, buy tickets and a cup of coffee, but also features a new tenant; model railway retailer Macks Tracks.
Community fight to save Plimmerton station
The 1940s railway station building was closed some years ago after becoming rundown and leaky. In October 2007, KiwiRail (then known as Toll NZ Ltd) proposed replacing it with glass shelters, however, the community was determined to save it and worked with Porirua City Council through its Villages Planning Programme to come up with a cheaper option to upgrade the building using volunteer labour.
KiwiRail supported the proposal, worked on plans for a revised interior and agreed to fund a new roof and structural repairs to the building.
Railway part of Plimmerton's history
Plimmerton has grown up around the railway. The first station was built in 1886 by the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company. The original laying-out of the village's streets was done for the railway company, and the village was named after John Plimmer; known as The Father of Wellington and founder of the Wellington and Manawatu railway company.
The replacement station opened in 1940 and is registered by the Rail Heritage Trust. Right next door to the station is the Wellington branch of Mainline Steam, an organisation devoted to the restoration and operation of historic trains.
A Radio New Zealand Spectrum documentary was recorded by Jack Perkins during the opening and broadcast on November 14. The documentary is available on the RNZ website at http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/spectrum.
- View our photo gallery of images taken by Mark Tantrum Photography.
The photograph below shows a family group in period costume, (from left) Julian, Fiona & Rosemary Thomson and Jono Moore, next to the steam train as it arrived at the opening of Plimmerton's restored railway station.
Back to top