Fire Danger Status
This page lists the current fire danger status for Porirua City.
Current Fire Danger Status: LOW
Interpretation of the various stages on the fire danger sign.
Low, Moderate and High Status
- Approved incinerators may be used without the need to obtain a fire permit.
- All other fires in the open air i.e., bon fires require a fire permit to be obtained before lighting.
- As the fire status moves to Moderate the issue of a fire permit is subject to the Council Officer's discretion.
- Things affecting the issue are topography, wind, closeness to vegetation etc.
High and Very High Status
- This status means fire conditions are approaching the stage when a total fire ban will be declared.
- Approved incinerators may still be used without a fire permit.
- Open air fires will generally be granted a fire permit in special circumstances only.
- A Total Fire Ban will generally be imposed.
- Incinerators and all open air fires are generally prohibited.
- A special fire permit may be issued for hangi and umu cooking fires.
Links to more fire information
Porirua City Council links: