Development Contributions

This page describes the Porirua City Council's Development Contributions Policy.

Development Contributions Policy

Under the Local Government Act 2002 development contributions fees are charged by all councils to assist with recovering the costs of supplying community and network infrastructure (such as reserves, water, wastewater, stormwater and roading) to new subdivision and buildings.

As part of the Council's 2015-25 Long Term Plan, Council's Development Contributions Policy has now been updated. From 1 July 2015, growth related costs for funding roading and recreation and civic developments will now be collected as development contributions through the 2015 Development Contribution Policy.

Council will continue to collect development contributions for growth related costs for water supply, wastewater and stormwater.

See the 2015 Development Contributions Policy below.

Development Contributions Fees

You will usually have to pay development contributions for residential development such as new houses and apartments, non-residential development, subdivisions, and for some changes of land use.

Council staff will work out the exact amount payable when your development is assessed for its building consent, resource consent or service connection.

The fees are calculated based on the number of household equivalent units (HEU) created by the development. The fees payable will be determined by the type and location of your development - see the Development Contributions Summary Guideline below.

Calculating Possible Development Contribution Fees

You'll need to know what is on the allotment to start with, and what you're planning.

For residential developments including residential subdivisions and housing developments, you will need to know the number of dwelling and living units that will be created.

For non-residential developments including non-residential subdivisions and building developments, you will need to know the hard surface area and the gross floor area of the development.

To find out the development contributions area and possible fees for your development - see the How To Find Development Area and Fees instruction below.

The value is indicative only, please refer to the Policy for further details. The Council will formally assess your development for the Development Contributions fees payable when a development application is lodged.

Applicants are advised to discuss the assessment and calculation process for any non-residential building conversion with the Council's Development Contributions Coordinator. 

Assessing Development Contributions

From 1 July 2015 you will be able to request a reconsideration of a development contribution assessment if you believe the Council's assessment was incorrect or based on incorrect information. Requests must be made within 10 working days of Council requiring the development contribution.

You may also lodge a formal objection to a development contribution assessment or reconsideration of an assessment. The request must be made within 15 working days from the date you receive the development contribution/reconsideration notice.

The objections process will be facilitated by Council and then be decided by independent development contributions commissioners selected from a register of commissioners appointed by the Minister of Local Government.  

Information on the reconsideration and objection processes and how it works see below.

Contact Council

If you want to know more on development contributions and how it works give us a call or email. We will help you to get the information you need or put you in touch with people in the Council who can help.

Email Policy & Funds Manager (Development Contributions Coordinator) at:

Links to more information

Porirua City Council links:

Links to the previous policy

Porirua City Council links: